National Thrift Shop Day is celebrated annually on August 17th. It's our favorite holiday! It is also our birthday here at the Housing Works eShop. This year we turn 2! To celebrate, we want to hear from you! Take this survey and let us know how we're doing and get a coupon for 25% off your next purchase (expires 8/21 11:59pm est).
At each of our 10 NYC Thrift Shops we hosted a neighborhood fashionista to curate a rack and assist our shoppers with styling their looks. Follow these sustainable stylists for more #inspo!
Our Thrift Shops not only save shoppers money, they also reduce waste, conserve resources, and help create green jobs. Buying secondhand from our non-profit Thrift Shops also provide the added benefit of supporting our organization's social-service mission.
Take the opportunity to celebrate our eShop second anniversary and support our community! By shopping at our Thrift Shops and eShop, you make a direct impact on our clients and advocacy efforts:
- 12 Dresses = $335 which finances 1 Month of Primary Care for a low-income New Yorker
- 16 Home Decor items = $74 which supplies 3 days of hot meals for HIV+ individuals in need
- 25 Shirts = $450 which sends 9 client activists to D.C.
If everyone bought one item used instead of new this year, it would save:
- 5.7B lbs of CO2e = 66M trees planted
- 25B gallons of water = 1.25B showers
- 449M lbs of waste = 18,700 garbage trucks full
**Housing Works alone recovered 1.9M pounds or about 825K items that could have ended up in landfills in 2021 alone.
Thank you for being kind to the environment and supporting our mission by shopping with us!